Why does my dog snore?

Certain dog breeds will snore much more than other breeds, usually because of the type of snout, or nose of the dog.  Bull dogs and pugs have very distinct snouts that are pushed inward and make the nasal passages very narrow and crowded.  When the dog breathes through his narrow airway, the air moves much faster, and the surrounding tissue vibrates, causing what is often a very loud snore!  Some dogs snore louder than their human roommates.  What can you do about it?  While you can’t put a CPAP on your dog to help open his airway, the one thing that you may want to check out is the possibility of his having allergies. Many animals can have allergies which could in turn produce congestion, and a further narrowing of the nasal passages and more snoring. Check with your vet to see if your snoring pooch could have an allergy. And you may want to invest in a good pair of ear plugs.

Continue Learning about Snoring

This Sleep Disorder Can Take Years Off Your Life
In September 2016, a train crashed into a station in Hoboken, New Jersey, killing one person and injuring more than 100. According to a CBS/AP news re...
Should I take my child to the doctor if he snores?
Children frequently snore. If your child snores heavily, seems to have pauses in his breathing or ap...
Is snoring serious?
Your snoring may be a serious problem if it is a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea. With sleep apne...
Do People Sleep Better Alone or With a Partner?