Why do I snore?

Snoring is an inconvenient problem - like smelly feet, sweaty palms, and allergies. Some people sufferfrom the malady while others never experience it at all. Up to 20 percent of the population experiences problems with snoring. The rest of the population has no problem with it - unless they are married to someone in the 20 percent.

Snoring is most simply an anatomy problem involving soft tissue in the back of the throat. This same tissue, by the way, allows you to swallow, gargle and - on a dare - talk like Donald Duck. Too much of this tissue causes snoring. This tissue (which includes the soft palate, uvula and tonsils) relaxes then starts to vibrate against the back of the throat while breathing. This vibration can create quite a bit of noise. The noise is like a balloon making sounds when you let the air out of it.

Continue Learning about Snoring

Do People Sleep Better Alone or With a Partner?
What Can I Do If My Partner Snores?
What Can I Do If My Partner Snores?
Why Is It Important to Tell My Doctor I Snore Before Having Surgery?
Why Do I Snore?
Why Do I Snore?