Is snoring serious?

Craig L. Schwimmer, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (Otolaryngology)
Yes, it certainly can be. While snoring has not traditionally been thought of as a health concern, recent studies suggest that snoring, even without any obstructive sleep apnea, can present health risks to the snorer. In addition, the bedpertner of a snorer loses about an hour of sleep per night. This sleep deprivation can contribute to marital discord, and decreses in physical performance and job performance.

Your snoring may be a serious problem if it is a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea. With sleep apnea, your breathing is interrupted as you sleep. Sleep apnea can lead to fatigue and a host of serious medical problems, including stroke and heart failure. Sleep apnea often responds well to treatment, so see your doctor if you suspect you have it. Snoring can also be a serious problem if it is keeping others in your home awake at night. Getting enough sleep is important for everyone's health.

Continue Learning about Snoring

Does my snoring mean that I have obstructive sleep apnea?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
To determine if your snoring is a sign that you have obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), you would need t...
Whom should I consult if I'm suffering from snoring?
Craig L. Schwimmer, MDCraig L. Schwimmer, MD
Consult a physician experienced in treating snoring and sleep apnea at a snoring center near you.
Why Is It Important to Tell My Doctor I Snore Before Having Surgery?
Can My Partner's Snoring Affect My Health?