Will quitting smoking reduce my risk for cancer?

Quitting smoking substantially reduces the risk of developing and dying from cancer, and this benefit increases the longer a person remains smoke-free. However, even after many years of not smoking, the risk of lung cancer in former smokers remains higher than in people who have never smoked.

The risk of premature death and the chance of developing cancer due to cigarettes depend on the number of years of smoking, the number of cigarettes smoked per day, the age at which smoking began, and the presence or absence of illness at the time of quitting. For people who have already developed cancer, quitting smoking reduces the risk of developing a second cancer.

This answer is based on source information from the U.S National Institutes of Health.  
Yes. After 10 years of not smoking, risk of cancer is half that of a person who continues to smoke.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How can I quit smoking if everyone at home smokes?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Quitting smoking, even when other people around you are smoking, does not have to be hard. Believe i...
How do I make the decision to quit smoking cigarettes?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
The decision to quit smoking is one that only you can make. Others may want you to quit, but the rea...
Treating Depression May Help Smokers Kick the Habit