What is the best way to prevent hyposmia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
Hyposmia cannot always be prevented. You can reduce your risk of developing hyposmia by avoiding toxic chemicals and cigarette smoking. If your doctor prescribes drugs, ask if hyposmia could be one of the side effects. Taking an alternative drug could help you avoid drug-related hyposmia.

Hyposmia is often the result of head injury, so wear head protection when playing sports or taking part in other potentially dangerous activities.

Continue Learning about Smell & The Nervous System

How does smell affect men and women differently?
The way something smells affects men and women differently. Research shows that the smells of pumpki...
What could cause me to lose my sense of smell?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
The nerve endings for your sense of smell start in the upper spaces of the nose. When air passes thr...
How does my sense of smell change as I age?
Your sense of smell may lessen as you age for a few reasons. Firstly, sensory cells located in the n...
Can the smell of coffee perk people up?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Imagine getting a good buzz just off the mere whiff of coffee. Is it true? Can you really reverse th...