What do I need to know about caring for someone who sleepwalks?

If someone in your household is sleepwalking, the best thing you can do is gently lead them back to bed, without waking them. It will not harm the person if you waken them, but they may not know where they are or what they are doing. Sometimes sleepwalkers, especially men, become violent if you waken them while they are sleepwalking. You should also remove objects that might harm the person and take measures to prevent them from self-injury.

Continue Learning about Sleepwalking

Should I talk to my doctor about my sleepwalking?
There is no one treatment for sleepwalking, but you may want to consult your doctor if you sleepwalk...
What are the symptoms of sleepwalking?
Symptoms of sleepwalking include opening your eyes and either sitting up in bed or getting out of be...
Are there alternative treatments for sleepwalking?
Sleepwalking can be treated with hypnosis, and getting more sleep may prevent the condition. People ...
What increases my risk for sleepwalking?
Being a child or adolescent increases your risk for sleepwalking. So does taking certain medications...