What is sleep eating?

Judy Caplan

Many people awake in the middle of the night and find themselves eating. Or people may awaken in the morning and see that someone has been in the kitchen during the night. They have no idea that it was them! If someone has metabolic syndrome they may wake in the night and eat. Metabolic syndrome is a triad of high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol, and diabetes or prediabetes. People wake in the night because their blood sugar may be dropping and they get up to eat to raise their sugars. They are often not aware of this. Another cause is taking sleeping pills. Right before sleeping it is not unusual for people to eat when they are really almost asleep.

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Sleep eating is essentially eating when sleep-walking. Sleep eating may be a symptom part of an eating disorder, and may people with a diagnosed eating disorder experience sleep eating as a symptom. The foods most eaten during an episode of sleep eating are high in sugar, simple carbs, and/or fat. Non-food items, or strange combinations of food has also been reported as eaten during episodes of sleep eating, such as raw meats covered in ketchup or another condiment. The sleep eater awakes in the morning with no memory of the event.

There are several dangers associated with sleep eating. Sleep walking of any kind poses the risk of self-injury from running into things, falling down stairs, etc. Those that are sleep eating are at risk of injury from eating uncooked food or non-food items, choking, using knives, and even cooking while sleeping, and starting a fire. In addition, sleep eating also carries the same risks as binge eating, such as weight gain, obesity and diabetes.

Symptoms of Sleep Eating include:
• fatigue and/or excessive daytime sleepiness
• depression, anger, and/or anxiety
• inability to lose weight despite proper diet and exercise
• family history of sleep disorders, night terrors, sleepwalking and/or sleep eating disorders
• personal history of eating disorder
• personal history of alcoholism and/or drug use
• sleep eating often starts during times of stress, and may only abate after the initial stressor is resolved

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

How Lung Cancer Can Impact Sleep and What to do About It
Sleep is essential to good health, and adequate amounts of sleep are important to cognitive function, cardiovascular health, energy levels, cellular r...
How Nightcaps Can Rob You of Sleep
How Nightcaps Can Rob You of Sleep
“O gentle sleep … how have I frightened thee that thou no more will weigh my eyelids down?” Shakespeare’s 17 th century lament on lost sleep surely hi...
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?