How common are sleep disorders?

Sleep disorders are very common. About one-third of adults suffer from insomnia at one time or another, and more than 10% have it on a regular basis. There are more than 100 different sleeping and waking disorders.

Sleep problems affect 70 percent of Americans, up from 60 percent in 1990. A sleep disorder is defined as having a problem sleeping or not feeling rested at least a few nights per week. And that's enough to chip away at your health—and longevity. The good thing, however, is that 50 percent of people with sleep disorders can be helped by simple behavioral changes that you make by yourself—to your bed, to your body, and to your life.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

From the Authors of the #1 Bestselling YOU: On A Diet and YOU: On a WalkWouldn't you like to know how to prevent your body from aging badly? Most of us believe that at age 40 or so, we begin the slow...
If you have problems getting your quota of shut-eye, you have plenty of company. According to the National Commission on Sleep Disorders Research, as many as 40 million Americans suffer from chronic sleep disorders, and another 20-30 million intermittently experience sleep problems. These numbers could double in a few years since sleep disorders increase with age, and our population is getting older quickly.

Continue Learning about Sleep Disorders

Stop Snoring to Prevent Metabolic Syndrome
If your snoring makes your bedroom sound like Grand Central Station at rush hour, you might have more than a sleep problem. Loud snoring, trouble fall...
What is positive airway pressure (PAP)?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Positive airway pressure (PAP) is the most common treatment for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). W...
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work8 Ways to Fall Asleep Faster That Actually Work
Grab some fuzzy socks and adjust the thermostat—things are about to get pretty cozy.
Should I Talk to My Doctor About My Sleep Disorder Symptoms?