Why does my energy lag when we switch to daylight saving time?

Dr. Andrea Pennington, MD
Integrative Medicine
While many love the idea of having more daylight for evening activities, a recent national survey found that many women complain that their energy levels "fall back" at this time of year.

When we "lose an hour" of sleep, many women struggle to start their days effectively. Some researchers believe that losing that one hour of sleep can have the same effect as a three-hour jet lag. Part of the problem comes as women feel their mornings are packed with activity, like getting the kids ready for school, packing lunches, etc., and the first thing to go in a time-crunch is breakfast.

It really is the most important meal of the day and even with a busy schedule one should be certain to get a nutritious breakfast in with the vitamins and nutrients you need to help overcome the loss of energy. Enjoy some fruit, yogurt, or high-protein cereal to set the day moving in a positive direction, rather than relying on coffee or other caffeinated beverages. Focus on setting yourself up for success during this time.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
What should I do if I wake up at night and can't fall back asleep?
Thomas Freedom, MDThomas Freedom, MD
If you are not able to fall back asleep within a short period of time (longer than 20 minutes), ...
What is the importance of sleep in my life?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Adequate sleep is absolutely necessary for long-term health and regeneration. Many physiologic proce...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?