What stages of sleep are important for memory?

Dr. Christopher E. Morgan, MD
Sleep Medicine Specialist

The earlier stages of sleep are important for memory consolidation—specifically stage two and three. In these stages, memories become more stable and they prime the brain for learning the next day. Lack of sleep can cut learning ability up to 40%.

In stage two sleep, brainwaves become slower and there is an occasional burst of rapid brainwaves. During stage three, brainwaves go even deeper and slower. It's during this stage that you obtain your most restorative sleep. Stage three sleep helps combat that daytime feeling of sleep deprivation.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
Why do I sleep better on a beach vacation?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Here are a few of my ideas:  1. The environment. Remember you are on vacation. This in and of it...
How can lack of sleep affect my risk of diabetes?
Dr. Alice DomarDr. Alice Domar
In one famous study, Eve Van Cauter, PhD, at the University of Chicago, put healthy young men onto a...
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?