What is stage 2 sleep?

Stage 2 sleep is where we typically spend half of our sleep time over the course of a night. In stage 2 sleep, a couple of important things happen:
  • Brain waves slow down from stage 1
  • Sleep spindles occur -- short bursts of electrical activity in the brain

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What are the risks of sleep deprivation?
With some major exceptions, sleep is a lot like sex. It's something you really look forward to, and ...
How can I set a good sleep routine for my child?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To set up a strict sleep program for your child: Establish regular times for going to bed with lig...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?