Which is the healthiest sleeping position?

Steven Shoshany, DC
Chiropractic Medicine
The healthiest sleeping position is lying flat on your back with your cervical spine supported. In this video, chiropractor Steven Shoshany, DC, explains the best sleep positions and how to support them with pillows under your neck and knees.

Sleeping Beauty: This type of sleeper sleeps on the side, back slightly curled with knees bent and arms folded.

The problem - None. This is the healthiest position to sleep in. This posture complements the natural curvature of the spine.

To make it even better - Add comfort and reduce stress on the hips by putting a pillow between your knees. Use a pillow of moderate height to support the head. Try a water pillow that can be easily adjusted. If there is room, stretch arms out front. If you have high blood pressure, try sleeping on the left side. If you are prone to kidney stones on one side, side-sleep on the other side.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Should night owls try to become early birds?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Most of us know whether we’re a lark who likes to beat the sunrise, or an owl who prefers to work by...
What can help me fall asleep at night?
PJs on? Check. Teeth brushed? Yep. Curled up in bed? Oh, yeah. But what about sleeping tips when...
What's a Good Breathing Exercise to Help Me Sleep?