How does lack of sleep impact my immune system?

Sleep problems can contribute to cardiovascular disease and a range of other health problems, possibly including decreased immune system functioning. Some animal and human studies have shown that lack of sleep appears to lower the white blood cell count, which is an indication of decreased immune function. This means you may be more susceptible to illnesses when you are sleep deprived. More research is needed to understand the effects of poor sleep on the body, but if you have sleep problems bring them to the attention of your physician. Together you can identify likely causes of poor sleep and appropriate treatment options.

Sleep deprivation dampens the production of the antibodies needed to fight infection; whereas allowing yourself to get adequate sleep will buoy your mood and give you more energy to exercise—both of which can help heighten your immune activity. A study in Psychosomatic Medicine found that even minor sleep disturbances cause a significant drop in the number of natural killer cells whose job is to destroy invaders.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
How can I set a good sleep routine for my child?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
To set up a strict sleep program for your child: Establish regular times for going to bed with lig...
How can I fit a nap into my day?
Ann Scritsmier , NASM Elite TrainerAnn Scritsmier , NASM Elite Trainer
That's a tough question to answer without more information - such as what you do for a living, etc.....
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?