How can smoking affect my sleep?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Nicotine can affect sleep. Epidemiologists at Johns Hopkins Medical Center compared sleep patterns in smokers and non-smokers. Smokers took longer to fall asleep and experienced less total sleep time than non-smokers. In addition, smokers spent more of their sleep time in the lightest sleep (Stage 1 sleep). These changes in sleep pattern may be an important cause of sleep disturbances among smokers.
Fit As Fido: Follow Your Dog to Better Health

Let your dog teach you to live a happier, healthier, and more fulfilling life! Companionship with your pet can be used as a means and a motivator to increase your own physical and mental fitness....
Tobacco contains nicotine, which acts as a stimulant, like caffeine. So although you may get an immediate relaxation feeling from smoking or chewing tobacco, it really charges you up and makes it difficult to sleep. Talk to your doctor about quitting smoking to help you get a good night's sleep.

If you've quit smoking but are using a nicotine supplement, like a patch or inhaler, the nicotine may be keeping you up at night. Talk to your doctor about your situation.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What can I do if my bed partner doesn't agree on room temperature?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
If you and your bed partner don't agree on room temperature, the warm partner can sleep outside the ...
Why is sleep deprivation so common?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Modern society has contributed to the problem of sleeplessness, says pulmonologist and sleep special...
How Can a Food Curfew Help Me Get a Good Night's Sleep?