Why is an earlier bedtime better for my child?

Earlier bedtimes may have a “protective effect” for adolescents against depression and suicidal thoughts. Researchers found when parents set their kids bedtimes earlier (10pm or earlier), adolescents were less likely to suffer from depression (by 24%) and less likely to think about committing suicide (by 20%). Earlier bedtimes seemed to allow for more total sleep time in these kids. And kids who report sleeping 5 or fewer hours were 71% more likely to suffer from depression and 48% more likely to think about suicide.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Why do I sleep better on a beach vacation?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Here are a few of my ideas:  1. The environment. Remember you are on vacation. This in and of it...
How can I improve the quality of my sleep?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
A new study suggests that using an electronic device like a smartphone, ipad or laptop for a signifi...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?