Why is an earlier bedtime better for my child?

Earlier bedtimes may have a “protective effect” for adolescents against depression and suicidal thoughts. Researchers found when parents set their kids bedtimes earlier (10pm or earlier), adolescents were less likely to suffer from depression (by 24%) and less likely to think about committing suicide (by 20%). Earlier bedtimes seemed to allow for more total sleep time in these kids. And kids who report sleeping 5 or fewer hours were 71% more likely to suffer from depression and 48% more likely to think about suicide.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
Reduce Screen Time for Better Sleep
In Bedtime for Bonzo, when college professor Peter Boyd (Ronald Regan) attempts to demonstrate that he can teach a chimpanzee (Bonzo) right from wrong...
Can the full moon cause me to miss sleep?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Are you having trouble sleeping? You can blame the full moon, as one recent study does—or a dozen sl...
What is wake propensity?
Alon Avidan, MDAlon Avidan, MD
Wake propensity explains how sleepy or awake you may feel during the day and at night. When you w...
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?
Is Skimping on Sleep Okay?