Does sleep affect memory?

Want to maximize your learning capacity? Get some sleep. That’s the takeaway from a study that examined the influence of sleep and time of day on learning and memory.

What did the researchers find?
  • Time of day had no effect on performance and initial memory (at the 30 minute test).
  • After 12 hours, overall memory was better after a night’s sleep than for those who spent the day awake
  • After 24 hours, researchers found that students who went to sleep shortly after learning had better memory of what they learned than those who did their learning followed by a day of wakefulness before sleep. 
  • The deterioration of memory during the wake period was less when students had slept shortly after learning
These results indicate that sleep is most helpful to memory when it happens soon after learning new things. Sleep seems to have a stabilizing effect on newly learned information, rooting it into memories that last and clearing the way for new information to be processed.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
What medical conditions can interfere with sleep?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Medical conditions, such as heart failure and prostate disease, can interfere with sleep, as can cer...
Can the full moon cause me to miss sleep?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Are you having trouble sleeping? You can blame the full moon, as one recent study does—or a dozen sl...
What Can I Do to Avoid Waking Up at Night After Falling Asleep?