Does sleep affect memory?

Want to maximize your learning capacity? Get some sleep. That’s the takeaway from a study that examined the influence of sleep and time of day on learning and memory.

What did the researchers find?
  • Time of day had no effect on performance and initial memory (at the 30 minute test).
  • After 12 hours, overall memory was better after a night’s sleep than for those who spent the day awake
  • After 24 hours, researchers found that students who went to sleep shortly after learning had better memory of what they learned than those who did their learning followed by a day of wakefulness before sleep. 
  • The deterioration of memory during the wake period was less when students had slept shortly after learning
These results indicate that sleep is most helpful to memory when it happens soon after learning new things. Sleep seems to have a stabilizing effect on newly learned information, rooting it into memories that last and clearing the way for new information to be processed.

Continue Learning about Sleep Basics

Tell Me Why…I Dream
Tell Me Why…I Dream
You’re in class and the teacher announces a surprise test. You haven’t studied, done homework or even been to class for weeks—and you may or may not b...
Should night owls try to become early birds?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Most of us know whether we’re a lark who likes to beat the sunrise, or an owl who prefers to work by...
What are the risks of sleep deprivation?
Dr. Christopher E. Morgan, MDDr. Christopher E. Morgan, MD
The risks of sleep deprivation may include: daytime sleepiness and fatigue decreased work produc...
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?
Can My Diet Affect My Sleep?