Which lotions are best for dry skin?

To treat dry skin, look for a moisturizer that contains lactic acid, urea, hyaluronic acid, dimethicone, glycerin, lanolin, mineral oil or petrolatum, as these ingredients have been proven to help skin hold moisture in. Apply moisturizer immediately after a shower or bath to seal in moisture. If you have chronic dry skin, talk to your doctor about the best way to treat it, which may include using a prescription product.

Inexpensive, fragrance-free lotion containing lanolin is often the most effective kind for treatment of mildly dry skin.  Watch the animation to learn more about dry skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

Are expensive moisturizers more effective for dry skin?
A moisturizer doesn't have to be costly to work. When looking for an affordable moisturizer, conside...
How should I moisturize my feet to keep the skin healthy?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Many people apply skin lotion to their bodies after a shower and forget their feet. Pay special ...
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin