Q

Skin Moisturizing

Why is it important to keep the skin moisturized?

• A Pediatrics, answered on behalf of

It is important to keep the skin moisturized because our skin is a barrier against infection. If we allow the skin to become dry, it can become cracked. When cracks or breaks in the skin occur, the usual bacteria that live on our skin can get inside and cause an infection. By protecting our skin from drying out, we protect ourselves from infection. In addition, keeping the skin moisturized helps people with eczema have fewer flares.

2 people found this helpful.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered

Skin's health and appearance are affected by moisture. Without water, skin's natural processes, like exfoliation, cannot occur normally, so maintaining an optimal level of moisture in skin is essential to its look and feel. Skin that is not well hydrated may also be more susceptible to inflammatory skin conditions.

2 people found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How often should I moisturize my skin?