Why is it important to keep the skin moisturized?

Skin's health and appearance are affected by moisture. Without water, skin's natural processes, like exfoliation, cannot occur normally, so maintaining an optimal level of moisture in skin is essential to its look and feel. Skin that is not well hydrated may also be more susceptible to inflammatory skin conditions.

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

It is important to keep the skin moisturized because our skin is a barrier against infection. If we allow the skin to become dry, it can become cracked. When cracks or breaks in the skin occur, the usual bacteria that live on our skin can get inside and cause an infection. By protecting our skin from drying out, we protect ourselves from infection. In addition, keeping the skin moisturized helps people with eczema have fewer flares.

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

What kind of moisturizer should I use on my feet, elbows, and knees?
Jeanine B. Downie, MDJeanine B. Downie, MD
The feet, elbows, and knees are spots on our body that can get scaly and tough. To really target...
Are expensive moisturizers more effective for dry skin?
An unscented moisturizer or lotion containing lanolin is one of the most effective and also least ex...
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?