How should I moisturize my feet to keep the skin healthy?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Many people apply skin lotion to their bodies after a shower and forget their feet. Pay special attention to the heels, as these can get very dry. However, try not to apply lotion or cream in between your toes, as this area tends to be moist, and you may end up encouraging some type of fungal or bacterial growth. You can also apply moisturizer, cuticle oil, or vitamin E oil to your nails, which will help soften the cuticles -- the thin layer of skin at the bottom and sides of your toenail -- although there's no evidence that it will keep your nails healthy or make them grow faster. Or try a pedicure to pamper your feet.
Ben Kaminsky
Dermatology
The feet and heels are especially prone to thickened skin (hyperkeratinization), calluses, skin cracking, itchiness, and irritation. Treatments include ingredients that will soothe, smooth, soften, relieve irritation, and moisturize. Foot creams usually have one or a combination of peppermint oil, menthol, and menthyl lactate since these ingredients are cooling and refreshing. AHA’s such as glycolic acid help to smooth skin and exfoliate dead cells, stimulating new, softer and healthier skin.
Beyond Botox: 7 Strategies for Sexy, Ageless Skin Without Needles or Surgery

Sexy and ageless skin is possible for a woman at any age--and she doesn't have to resort to invasive treatments like Botox to get it-as long as she cares for her skin properly, says Ben Kaminsky,...

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

What should I look for in a daily moisturizer?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Use a daily moisturizer with SPF 30, which contains potent sunscreen ingredients such as avobenzone,...
What's an inexpensive moisturizer?
Safflower oil is high in moisturizing linoleic acid. When you get out of the shower today, have some...
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?