What can I do to prevent bacteria transmission from makeup samples?

The following are things you can do to prevent bacteria transmission from makeup samples.

- Employ single-use applicators for anything that will touch your eyes, nose or mouth. On lipsticks, swipe the swab or applicator on the side of the tube, not the top (which everyone else has been touching). With lip-gloss, squeeze a little out and discard, then use the applicator to apply.

- Disinfect lipsticks, pencils, and brushes with spray alcohol (ask the clerk to use theirs or bring your own). Use a Kleenex to scrape the top layer off eye shadows, blushes, and powders and apply with a cotton ball.

- Bring your own mascara if you’re getting a makeover at the counter.

- Avoid sampling on the weekend, when the study found the highest levels of contamination. The lowest levels were on Thursday afternoon.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Skin & Makeup/Cosmetics Use

Worst Case Scenario: Sleeping With Makeup On
At the end of a long day, it’s all too easy to skip a step in your nighttime routine and go to sleep without washing your face. But you may be doing m...
Is mineral makeup better for the skin?
Like most trends—though this one may last—it has both pros and cons. Here are the cons:Yes, minerals...
How can I protect my lips and still wear lip gloss?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
How do you protect your lips? Do you have to throw out all your lip gloss collection? No.  But y...
Are Oxygen Skin Care Products As Effective As Oxygen Facials?