Is mineral makeup better for the skin?

Like most trends—though this one may last—it has both pros and cons. Here are the cons:

• Yes, minerals naturally act as a sun barrier, but the amount you get from these is likely to be significantly less than the label promises, because what people often love about them is that you don’t have to use much -- they are light and sheer, and it just takes a little to get the effect you want. You’d have to wear a lot to get an SPF 15 or higher. Don’t get a false sense of sun security. It’s the same thing that happens when you put only a dab of SPF 30 on your face; you need a whole teaspoonful.
  • Some of these makeup lines swear they are fine to sleep in. Yes, it’s probably better than falling asleep in regular makeup, but don’t sleep in any makeup!
  • The colors are limited and they can be both messy to use and a little tricky to control.

Here are the pros:

• They are great for people with sensitive skin. I use a mineral blush myself! No one reacts to them because there’s nothing to react to: Minerals are chemically inert. And they sit right on the surface of the skin.
  • They are fine for acne too, because they are inherently noncomedogenic.
  • Once you get good at using them, they are light and pretty.

Choosing whether to use mineral-based makeup is up to you. If regular based makeup has suited you for years and you enjoy it, why change? Remember, there are no rules to makeup. It’s a personal choice, no matter what the advertising hype.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Skin & Makeup/Cosmetics Use

Worst Case Scenario: Sleeping With Makeup On
At the end of a long day, it’s all too easy to skip a step in your nighttime routine and go to sleep without washing your face. But you may be doing m...
Can BB cream help me with my skin problems?
Whatever your skin problem, a new product called beauty balm, or BB cream, may offer help. In this v...
Is it dangerous to use products that have lye or tallow?
As the soap hardens during manufacturing, the lye continues to react with the fatty acids until it's...
Are Oxygen Skin Care Products As Effective As Oxygen Facials?