What is a ring avulsion (finger avulsion)?

In sport, a ring avulsion is commonly known as a finger avulsion, occurring most commonly when an athlete tries to dunk a basketball and their finger gets caught in the net. If the finger is torn off, it must be found, kept moist or on ice and brought to the emergency room so it can be reattached. This is the primary reason why athletes are not allowed to wear rings in sport.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Indiana University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
Should I clean a scab?
Don't clean a scab. The best thing you can do is to leave a scab alone. If you soak the scab in ...
Why is my scab so itchy?
Your scab may feel itchy because of the healing process going on beneath it. The skin below your...
How do scratches and cuts heal?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Scratches and cuts heal in general by secondary intention or wound healing. There are several stages...