What are the different types of scars?

Daniel Kapp
Daniel Kapp on behalf of MDLIVE
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

There are several types of scars.  Scars may be normal.  That is, a small thin line barely distinguishable from the surrounding tissue, or they may be hypertrophic or keloid.  Hypertrophic scars are scars that have widened the natural borders of the original wound.  Keloid scars are widened, thickened and painful and usually grow beyond the borders of the original injury.  Commonly they can be seen in ear piercings and around the neck.  Keloid scars tend to form around the neck.  The diagnosis of a keloid scar is made by examination.  Treatments vary depending upon whether a scar is hypertrophic or a keloid.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
There are four main types of scars. A keloid is a thick scar that is elevated and with increased collagen formation outgrows its borders. Operating on this scar can create an even worse scar. Second, hypertrophic scars are also raised and thick scars that may respond to either steroid injection and scar excision or revision.  Third, a widespread scar may be associated with increased tension with stretch and is not raised. Finally, hyperpigmented and hypopigmented scars are associated with increase or less pigment or melanin leading to discoloration.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What is a ring avulsion (finger avulsion)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In sport, a ring avulsion is commonly known as a finger avulsion, occurring most commonly when a...
How do I manage my skin injury on a daily basis?
Managing your skin injury starts with keeping it clean in order to avoid infection or tetanus. To cl...
What can I do to stop picking my scabs?
Marla Deibler, PsyDMarla Deibler, PsyD
Habit reversal training (HRT), a form of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), is the most studied, ev...