How do I prevent infection in skin injuries?

If you have a skin injury that is not cleaned properly or that is not treated with antibiotic ointment, you could be at risk for infection. The first step toward preventing infection is making sure the skin injury is cleaned and cleared of debris almost as soon as it occurs. Applying an antibiotic ointment to either the skin injury or burn is also necessary to be sure it does not become infected at a later time. Bacitracin is often used for cuts; silver sulfadiazine is used more frequently for second- or third-degree burns. Serious injuries should be treated by a health professional, who will make sure that tetanus shots are up-to-date (your doctor will want to know if you've had fewer than three tetanus shots in your life, and whether you've had one in the last five to ten years, depending on the injury). A final method you can use to prevent infection is making sure to use clean bandages or dressings to cover the skin injury or burn.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What medications can make my skin burn?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Many medications can cause photosensitivity in some people. The photoreaction can mimic a sunburn or...
Is it dangerous to pick a scab?
Picking a scab is a bad idea. Think of these hard, reddish patches on the skin as nature's banda...
When should I see a doctor about a wound?
There are several signs that may help you to know when you should see a doctor about your wound. The...