How do scratches and cuts heal?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Scratches and cuts heal in general by secondary intention or wound healing. There are several stages of wound healing including wound contraction (edges come together), inflammation (white blood cells clear debris and bacteria), epithelialization (new cell formation), and collagenization (new collagen is laid down by fibroblasts cells). Larger cuts or wounds may require debridement of necrotic tissue with dressing changes until healing occurs.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What is an avulsion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
An avulsion is a serious soft-tissue injury. It happens when a portion of the skin, and sometimes ot...
What is gangrene?
Gangrene is death and decay of body tissue. It happens when tissues, such as skin and muscle, don't ...
Should I talk to my doctor about skin injury symptoms?
In the case of minor burns, skin injury symptoms do not need to be treated by a doctor. However, in ...