How does knowing my skin type affect my skin health?

Skin type is determined by taking a number of factors into consideration. Some important factors include whether your skin is dry or oily, and how easily you tan or burn. The skin types are classified from 1 through 6 (sometimes represented by Roman numerals I, II, III, IV, V and VI) as follows: Type 1 burns very easily and never tans. Type 2 burns easily and rarely tans. Type 3 burns after some sun exposure and tans minimally and slowly. Type 4 rarely burns and gets a significant tan after sun exposure. Type 5 rarely burns and gets a dark tan. Type 6 does not burn and has dark coloration regardless of sun exposure. It's important to know your skin type because it may advise you about sun exposure. For example, people with type 6 skin can tolerate more sun exposure than people with type 1. While everyone should be careful about sun exposure, people with skin types 1 and 2 should take extra precautions.

Continue Learning about Healthy Beauty

Want the Best Sunscreen? What You Need to Know
Summer's here. And who isn't cheering? But before you spin vintage Beach Boys vinyl or park your towel in a sunny spot, we have a public service annou...
What are some inexpensive beauty products?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Buy inexpensive sun block with a SPF of at least 15 and apply it every day to your skin that wil...
What Your Hair Says About Your Health
What Your Hair Says About Your HealthWhat Your Hair Says About Your HealthWhat Your Hair Says About Your HealthWhat Your Hair Says About Your Health
Five things your hair is trying to tell you.
What Are the Benefits of Retinol?
What Are the Benefits of Retinol?