Many cleansers are indiscriminate in the oil and dirt they wash away, stripping your skin of essential moisture as they cleanse, leaving you with dry, taut skin. However, gentle, emollient-rich synthetic cleansers minimize water loss and drying. Also, there are technologically advanced cleansers that wash away debris from the skin's surface, including dirt and oil, while depositing moisturizing and softening ingredients on the skin. Look for cleansers with humectants, such as glycerol, that help to hold onto water within the skin, and fatty acids, like stearic acid, to help replenish lipids that are lost.
- Q Why does dry skin increase as we age?
- Q Does taking hot showers dry my skin?
- Q How do environmental factors affect dry skin?
- Q What’s the best way to treat mildly dry skin?
- Q Why does my skin itch even when I don't have a rash?
- Q Can certain medications cause dry skin?