Will all cleansers dry out my skin?

Many cleansers are indiscriminate in the oil and dirt they wash away, stripping your skin of essential moisture as they cleanse, leaving you with dry, taut skin. However, gentle, emollient-rich synthetic cleansers minimize water loss and drying. Also, there are technologically advanced cleansers that wash away debris from the skin's surface, including dirt and oil, while depositing moisturizing and softening ingredients on the skin. Look for cleansers with humectants, such as glycerol, that help to hold onto water within the skin, and fatty acids, like stearic acid, to help replenish lipids that are lost.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
What is mastocytosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Mastocytosis is caused by too many mast cells in the body. This most commonly happens in skin. When ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?