When should I call my doctor about a skin rash?

If you have a skin rash, call or go to the doctor or clinic for:
  • Rash, spots, blisters, or strange coloring in an infant 3 months or younger
  • Diaper rash that does not get better in 3 days, even though you've tried prevention tips (change diapers more often and wipe with plain water, not scented wipes; let your baby go without a diaper as much as possible; use diaper cream)
  • Diaper rash that goes beyond the diaper area
  • Rash with a fever
  • Rash that looks infected (painful, red, may be leaking fluid)
  • Rash with mouth sores
  • Rash that is painful and on one side of the body or face
  • Rash that is very uncomfortable or painful
  • Acne that is leaving scars
  • Any rash that isn't getting better

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
What can a doctor do for stretch marks?
While there are ways to avoid developing stretch marks and many fade with time, removing them ma...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?