What is an ingrown hair?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
When a hair gets trapped and starts growing underneath the skin, it can create a bump and cause folliculitis, an inflammation of the hair follicle. Inflammatory cells (neutrophils) race to the area to kill bacteria around the jagged ingrown hair that is penetrating the follicular wall. This neutrophilic accumulation causes a small papule, or pimple.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
How do I treat dry skin?
Dr. Rosemarie Y. Ingleton, MDDr. Rosemarie Y. Ingleton, MD
To treat dry skin, choose a good moisturizer—and break one daily habit, says dermatologist Dr. Rosem...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?