What is an ingrown hair?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
When a hair gets trapped and starts growing underneath the skin, it can create a bump and cause folliculitis, an inflammation of the hair follicle. Inflammatory cells (neutrophils) race to the area to kill bacteria around the jagged ingrown hair that is penetrating the follicular wall. This neutrophilic accumulation causes a small papule, or pimple.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?