What increases my risk for phimosis?

Being young and uncircumcised are the primary factors that increase your chance of having phimosis. In newborn males, the foreskin is attached tightly above the tip of the penis as a natural protective measure by the body. As boys age, the foreskin loosens, and by age 17, 99% of uncircumcised boys' foreskins are fully retractable. Also, people who practice improper hygiene or engage in activities that lead to inflammation or irritation of the foreskin increase their chances of getting phimosis. It can also be caused by scarring resulting from forcing the foreskin of a child to retract before it's prepared to do so naturally.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Mental and Emotional Health
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a chronic skin condition that causes inflamed, painful, boil-like lumps called lesions to form under the skin. Oftent...
How is PMLE treated?
Treating polymorphous light eruption, or PMLE, may involve using topical and/or oral corticoster...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?