What steps can I take to help a loved one cope with vitiligo?

If your parent has vitiligo, there are some things you can do to help him cope with this skin disorder:

• Make sure your parent sees a trusted doctor who understands vitiligo. This may be a dermatologist, a doctor who specializes in treating skin, nail, and hair conditions.
  • Go to the doctor's appointment with your parent. Be sure the doctor listens to and answers your parent's questions about vitiligo and that your parent feels supported.
  • Ask the doctor about the use of sunscreen with vitiligo and the importance of avoiding a tan. Make sure your parent understands this information and knows the proper sun protection factor (SPF) to use.
  • Read more about vitiligo on reputable medical sites on the Internet. Help your parent gain a better understanding of this skin condition and how it might affect people emotionally.
  • Find out about skin cosmetics that can be used to conceal depigmented skin patches on the face, neck, arms, or hands. Help your parent understand how to use these cosmetics.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What are petechiae?
Petechiae are tiny, flat purple or red spots on the skin, caused by broken blood vessels and bleedin...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?