What should I expect at an office visit to a dermatologist?

What happens during an office visit to a dermatologist depends on why you scheduled the visit. If you are having a scheduled skin exam, for instance, your dermatologist will examine your body for signs of skin cancer and other diseases. If a dermatologist finds a suspicious growth, he or she may order a biopsy, which involves removing a small piece of the skin to check for cancer. The skin sample is sent to a lab for evaluation.

If it's your first visit, your doctor will take a complete medical history. He or she will may about your occupation, your habits, and other information that can affect your skin's health.

If you have already been diagnosed with a skin condition, your dermatologist may use your office visit to examine your skin and discuss treatments. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
Are dermatofibromas dangerous?
Dermatofibromas are almost always harmless. The most serious symptom is minor itching. In some c...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?