What should I expect at an office visit to a dermatologist?

What happens during an office visit to a dermatologist depends on why you scheduled the visit. If you are having a scheduled skin exam, for instance, your dermatologist will examine your body for signs of skin cancer and other diseases. If a dermatologist finds a suspicious growth, he or she may order a biopsy, which involves removing a small piece of the skin to check for cancer. The skin sample is sent to a lab for evaluation.

If it's your first visit, your doctor will take a complete medical history. He or she will may about your occupation, your habits, and other information that can affect your skin's health.

If you have already been diagnosed with a skin condition, your dermatologist may use your office visit to examine your skin and discuss treatments. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
What Are Chronic Hives?
What Are Chronic Hives?
Hives, also known as urticaria, present as swollen welts on the skin. They are often itchy and uncomfortable. Watch this video to learn what makes hiv...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?