What should I expect if I have liquid nitrogen treatment for DSAP?

Liquid nitrogen can be used to freeze off lesions resulting from disseminated superficial actinic porokeratosis (DSAP). When DSAP is first diagnosed, a person with the disorder may have 30-40 lesions that are treated with liquid nitrogen several times. 

During this procedure, the doctor quickly sprays liquid nitrogen on each skin lesion, leaving a white mark. This may cause a stinging sensation. You will experience mild pain for about 30 minutes, depending on how widespread the area on the arms and legs might be. You probably won't require pain medication.

Over the next few hours, blisters appear. They look like tight brownish bubbles and they should not be broken on purpose. Breaking the blisters might expose the skin to infection. The body should be allowed to reabsorb the fluid over the next week or so. At that time, small brown scabs will form and will eventually flake off by themselves. Loose-fitting pants and shirts can easily protect the skin and hide the blisters.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How serious is my son's erythema nodosum?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Erythema nodosum is a lumpy, tender rash due to inflammation of the tissues just beneath the skin. I...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?