What are the treatments for stretch marks?

Stretch marks are incredibly common among growing teens and pregnant women. In fact, about 70 percent of women get their first set in their teens from growth spurts; changes in breast size and fluctuations in weight can also cause new marks to form.

Don’t be embarrassed by your marks; you are not the only one who has them and I’m sure you are more aware of them and bothered by them than anybody else, your partner included. New marks are often red and can be itchy, and there are great treatments to remove the redness, including lasers and prescription topical retinoids (e.g., Retin-A). Pregnant women, however, cannot use retinoids, and may try an oatmeal-based cream as an alternative. Once stretch marks have faded to skin color or paler, time will help fade them, but there is currently no definitive treatment to remove the marks (and no great topical solution, either). A series of laser treatments can help, as can keeping the area supple and moisturized. Self-tanners help to mask them, and waterproof makeup will cover them up for a day at the beach.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
Can a primary care doctor treat my skin condition?
Primary care physicians are able to evaluate many skin conditions. They may be the first healthcare ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?