Is vitiligo being studied in clinical trials?

Richard Ricciardi
Advanced Practice Nursing
Very good question. As of today there are 47 clinical trials registered in the US that are studying vitiligo. To find them go to the website listed below:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=vitiligo
The location and contact information for the studies are listed on the website.
There are many clinical trials on vitiligo at this time. Because so much is unknown about vitiligo, experimental treatments are being tried in scientific settings to help people self-manage this skin disorder, keep it from spreading, and even regain pigment in white skin patches. For instance, emulsions of tar are being used in some trials. Medications that adjust the immune system are being tried. Vitamin therapy (B12), folate and folic acid, and light therapy are being used by some volunteers. At one hospital in the United States, doctors are transplanting melanocytes to the patches of depigmented areas of skin on study participants. The goal is to have the white patches of skin accept the new skin cells with pigment.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
Are dermatofibromas dangerous?
Dermatofibromas are almost always harmless. The most serious symptom is minor itching. In some c...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?