Are there alternative treatments for angioedema?

Angioedema of the larynx (throat) is life threatening and should be treated in the emergency room. If your angioedema is mild, you may want to allow it to go away on its own. Another option is to use cool water to relieve symptoms, either by taking a cool bath or shower or by covering the swollen areas with bandages or cloths soaked in cool water. However, if symptoms include swelling of the throat or air passages, or were caused by a bee sting, it is better to see a doctor right away.

Patients with hereditary angioedema may receive plasma transfusions if an attack is likely.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
What can a doctor do for melasma?
While melasma sometimes clears up on its own, especially if it was caused by pregnancy or taking...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Are Skin Tags Removed?
How Are Skin Tags Removed?