What is the prognosis for people with seborrheic dermatitis?

Seborrheic dermatitis -- better known as dandruff -- is a chronic condition. In other words, if you have dandruff, you will probably need to deal with it for the rest of your life. The good news is that, with proper care, this cosmetic problem can be controlled.

Dandruff, the scaly flakes of skin that shed and fall on your clothing, is actually just one symptom of seborrheic dermatitis. Others include itchy skin, sores, redness, and even hair loss. If you're bothered by dandruff and other symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis, talk to a dermatologist. He or she can recommend medicated shampoos and other treatments to help you manage this condition.

Seborrheic dermatitis is called cradle cap when it occurs in an infant or small child. The scalp, as well as skin on the face and groin, may develop patches of crusty, discolored skin. Cradle cap is usually a temporary condition.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What should I expect at an office visit to a dermatologist?
What happens during an office visit to a dermatologist depends on why you scheduled the visit. I...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?