What types of anti-itch products are available over-the-counter?

Anti-itch treatments available over-the-counter include antihistamines, corticosteroids, and anesthetics. Antihistamines help control substances called histamines that can cause itchiness (and also congestion). Corticosteroids help reduce inflammation and itchiness, while anesthetics help to numb nerve endings, lessening the urge to itch.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How are hemangiomas treated?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The treatment for many superficial hemangiomas is simply a "tincture of time." Many hemangiomas of t...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?