How do I know if white patches on my groin are caused by vitiligo?

White patches on your groin could be caused by vitiligo. Vitiligo is a skin disorder that causes the pigment-producing cells to die (melanocytes). Loss of pigmentation tends to occur in folds of the skin such as the groin. It may be because this area is prone to rubbing, a risk factor for white patches in susceptible people. But not all white skin patches are caused by vitiligo. Other conditions your doctor might consider include pityriasis alba, tinea versicolor, eczema, psoriasis, or a fungal infection. To be sure you have vitiligo and not some other skin disorder, your doctor will examine the characteristics, location, and pattern of all the patches. Your personal and family medical history, particularly regarding autoimmune diseases, will be important to know.

If vitiligo is suspected, your doctor may shine a special light called a Wood's lamp on your skin to see if the patches have little or no pigment. People with vitiligo have no pigment, so patches appear yellow-green or blue under the light. Since vitiligo is thought to be an autoimmune disease, a blood test might also be performed to measure immune-system chemicals that typically increase with autoimmune diseases. A sample of skin (biopsy) may be sent to a lab to measure melanocytes.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
How do we get crow's feet in the first place?
Age is a factor in developing crow's feet. As we grow older, we produce less collagen and elastin, w...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?