How do I know if white patches on my eyelids are caused by vitiligo?

White patches on your eyelids could be caused by vitiligo. Vitiligo is a skin disorder that causes the pigment-producing cells (melanocytes) to die. The face, particularly around the eyes, eyelids, and lips, can lose pigmentation. This area may be prone to white patches because they are often rubbed and this can increase the risk in susceptible people. The eyelashes and eyebrows may also turn white. But not all white skin patches are caused by vitiligo. Other conditions your doctor might consider include pityriasis alba, tinea versicolor, eczema, psoriasis, or a fungal infection. To be sure you have vitiligo and not some other skin disorder, your doctor will examine the characteristics, location, and pattern of all the patches. Your personal and family medical history, particularly regarding autoimmune diseases, will be important to know.

If vitiligo is suspected, your doctor may shine a special light called a Wood's lamp on your skin to see if the patches have little or no pigment. People with vitiligo have no pigment, so patches appear yellow-green or blue under the light. Since vitiligo is thought to be an autoimmune disease, a blood test might also be performed to measure immune-system chemicals that typically increase with autoimmune diseases. A sample of skin (biopsy) may be sent to a lab to measure melanocytes.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What do dermatologists do?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology is a medical and surgical field specializing in the treatment of skin, hair, and nails a...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?