How likely will it be that a child will get vitiligo if a parent has it?

If a parent has vitiligo, their children are more likely to get it too. Vitiligo tends to run in families. Three faulty genes have been found to increase the risk for vitiligo, so a parent can pass these genes down to their children. But the inheritance of these genes does not necessarily guarantee a person will get the disease. Only 5% to 7% percent of children with an affected parent actually get it. Environmental factors are probably needed to trigger the disease in genetically susceptible people.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
How can I avoid getting Darier-White Disease if it runs in my family?
Darier-White disease (also known as Darier disease) is caused by a faulty gene. If Darier-White ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?