What do I need to know about caring for someone with stasis dermatitis?

If someone in your care has stasis dermatitis, you need to make sure that they follow the doctor's treatment plan for the condition that is affecting the circulation. The person may have to wear support stockings. Standing for long periods should be curtailed, but walking does help the blood circulate. If stasis dermatitis symptoms appear, have the person put their legs up. This will reduce the amount of fluid that collects in the person's legs and reduce the irritation. You may use cool, wet compresses or other topical medications, as directed by the doctor, to help reduce the irritation.
Be aware that as stasis dermatitis worsens, it may cause sores on the affected skin. It is very important to protect these sores from infection and watch them closely for signs of infection. These signs may include red streaks, which are a sign of cellulitis, a bacterial infection that requires a doctor's attention. Do not attempt to treat the infection with antibiotic creams, alcohol-containing antiseptics, or other household treatments, as the skin is very easily irritated.
When caring for someone with stasis dermatitis, your doctor will tell you several things to do. The person shouldn't stand for long periods of time. He should take regular walks and elevate the legs when sitting or sleeping. Many people will need to wear compression stockings while awake to improve circulation. Moisturizing the legs on a regular basis with petroleum jelly can also be helpful.

Even after the symptoms of stasis dermatitis have gotten better, the person may require lifelong preventative treatment.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Questions to Ask a Dermatologist About HS
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is an inflammatory skin disorder that causes breakouts of lesions. These lesions: Can be itchy and painful Can cause...
How can I avoid getting Darier-White Disease if it runs in my family?
Darier-White disease (also known as Darier disease) is caused by a faulty gene. If Darier-White ...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?