Can difficulty breathing be a complication of hives?

Severe cases of hives can produce swelling inside the mouth or throat. This can make breathing difficult as the air passages narrow. This is a medical emergency that requires immediate care. Hives are a very common allergic reaction to various drugs, foods, and certain conditions. The raised, red, itchy welts vary in size and can appear as small spots or large blotches. Consult a dermatologist or allergist for more information.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Mental and Emotional Health
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a chronic skin condition that causes inflamed, painful, boil-like lumps called lesions to form under the skin. Oftent...
If I have a mole that changes, do I have melanoma?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
If you have a mole that changes you don't necessarily have melanoma, but it can be a sign of melanom...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Is Rosacea?
What Is Rosacea?