Can a Spitz nevus be a symptom of another condition?

A Spitz nevus is not normally a symptom of another condition. It is a mole derived from the same cells as a common mole, though it may look similar to melanoma (a deadly type of skin cancer). If you have a  Spitz nevus it may mean you are at increased risk for skin cancer. If you have any suspicious moles, let your doctor or dermatologist examine them to make sure there is not cause for concern.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Potential Health Risks of Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD, is a chronic condition known for causing dry, irritated, itchy patches on the skin. It affects between 10 a...
What are the main classes of medications for the skin?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
The major classes of drugs for the skin include the alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), also called frui...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?