If I have albinism, will I get skin cancer?

Albinism, in its many forms, is the lack of production of certain components of melanin, a chemical produced by melanocytes, or the pigment producing cells of the skin. Melanin has some protective benefit in guarding against skin cancer, and generally speaking, the more darkly a person’s skin is pigmented, the less likely they are to develop certain types of skin cancer. In answer to the question, having albinism does not mean absolutely that that person will develop skin cancer, but their individual risk is substantially higher than individuals without albinism. It is, therefore, very important for individuals with albinism to be very cautious with sun exposure; to avoid peak hours of sun exposure, wear protective clothing, use sunscreen, and avoid tanning beds.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
What are the treatments for stretch marks?
Stretch marks are incredibly common among growing teens and pregnant women. In fact, about 70 percen...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?