Is there a cure for phimosis?

Removing the foreskin through circumcision is the only certain cure for phimosis. However, there are less radical treatments that have been very successful at eliminating the condition. Careful, gradual stretching of the foreskin is the most basic treatment. However, it may take several weeks or months to fully loosen the skin. Stretching is often used in combination with a steroid ointment, such as betamethasone, that is applied to the foreskin two or three times a day. The steroid increases the natural growth of the skin, although it still might take up to three months to loosen completely. A surgical option that doesn't remove the foreskin is preputioplasty. It is a plastic surgery procedure that makes an incision in the foreskin to increase the opening. A more extreme version of preputioplasty that includes a larger incision is referred to as a dorsal slit procedure.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders Basics

What are the treatment options for phimosis?
Phimosis that occurs naturally in young children usually doesn't require treatment unless it causes ...
What natural sun spot remedies can I try?
Lemon juice applied twice a day is a common home remedy. But be extra careful when in the sun: The l...
How can stress cause skin problems?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
In a study at Johns Hopkins Medical School, Dr. Francisco Tausk and his colleagues sought to establi...
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?
Why Do I Get Sun Spots?