What temperature water should I use to wash my hands?

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

You should always wash your hands using warm water. Very hot water will strip the skin of surface oils and leave the skin dry and chaffed. Antibacterial soaps can also exacerbate skin dryness. If you are required to use these soaps at work I suggest you apply a moisturizing barrier cream to your hands after washing.

To keep your skin healthy, you should use warm (not hot) water whenever you cleanse. Hot water can strip your skin of its natural moisture.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

What type of washcloth do I need to use for my skin?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
A nubby washcloth is one of your best skin care tools. It's a good way to slough off dead skin cells...
How can I clean my face without making it dry?
Take warm, not hot, showers and use a gentle soap or cleanser (my faves: Dove, Purpose, Cetaphil). Y...
What does a mild cleanser do?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A mild cleanser will get rid of pollutants, oil, dead skin cells and dirt, but it will preserve a he...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?