What temperature water should I use to wash my hands?

To keep your skin healthy, you should use warm (not hot) water whenever you cleanse. Hot water can strip your skin of its natural moisture.

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

You should always wash your hands using warm water. Very hot water will strip the skin of surface oils and leave the skin dry and chaffed. Antibacterial soaps can also exacerbate skin dryness. If you are required to use these soaps at work I suggest you apply a moisturizing barrier cream to your hands after washing.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

How do power facial cleansers help my skin look younger?
Debra Jaliman, MDDebra Jaliman, MD
Power facial cleansers can help you look younger by increasing exfoliation and gently removing more ...
Does skin absorb water during bathing?
The outermost layers of skin do tend to absorb water during bathing. However, water also quickly eva...
What type of washcloth do I need to use for my skin?
The type of washcloth you use may matter less than how often you change washcloths. Using a clea...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?