What is exfoliating?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology

Exfoliation is the process of stripping off the top layer of skin. It is absolutely necessary for someone who has acne or who complains of rough, dull skin. Sloughing off of dead skin cells instantly brightens a complexion and makes it look and feel fresher. It smoothes the texture, improves skin tone, and helps unclog pores, all at the same time. Dead keratinocytes are opaque, so light flattens against them. They're like dirt on a windshield.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Exfoliating refers to the act of removing dead skin cells from the skin's outermost surface to reveal the newer skin cells underneath.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

What's the best way to keep my hands clean?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
What’s the best way to keep our hands clean and free from disease-spreading germs? Just washing ...
Why should I use a specialized cleanser?
If you use a harsh cleanser, you could be stripping your face of necessary oils that help protect yo...
When should I begin exfoliating?
Exfoliation is something you want to do starting in your teens, and for sure by your twenties and th...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?