How should I cleanse my skin in the winter?

Humidity is typically lower in the winter, which can make skin dry and brittle. Following a few basic rules when bathing can help keep your skin clean and supple:
  • Keep baths and showers short.
  • Don't use hot water. Lukewarm is better for your skin.
  • Use a mild soap or cleanser. Talk to a dermatologist about which cleansers might be best for your skin. You may want a non-soap product that moisturizes your skin as you wash.
  • Consider using soap only on your face, underarms, and genitals.
  • If your skin is very dry, wash your face with soap or cleanser only once a day.
  • Pat your dry skin with a towel. Don't rub vigorously.
  • Apply moisturizer immediately after your bath or shower.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

How do I give myself a "Do-It-Yourself" facial?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
For those on a budget, you can attempt a basic facial in your own home. Gather a towel, bowl, water,...
What should I do when there is no water available to wash my hands?
Clean running water and soap are preferred since not all bacteria and viruses can be killed by a...
Should I change my cleanser depending on the season?
Debra Jaliman, MDDebra Jaliman, MD
You should change your facial cleanser with the seasons; in winter you should to use a milder cleans...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?