How can I clean my face without making it dry?

Take warm, not hot, showers and use a gentle soap or cleanser (my faves: Dove, Purpose, Cetaphil). You can use these gentle soaps on your entire body, including your face. Feel free to use a loofah or scrub on your body if you don’t become irritated, but avoid using any scrubs on your face. Your hands and a light lathering of soap will do just fine.

Keep your showers short and use soap sparingly. Both hot water and soap dissolve body oils and make skin dry, which is why it’s key to minimize this effect with warm water and minimal soap. Wash only the dirty parts! Skin should be clean, not dry. If you’re fighting adult acne on your face or body, use an anti-acne cleanser that contains benzoyl peroxide and/or salicylic acid. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, Clinique Acne Solutions (you can choose between the Cleansing Foam and Cleansing Bar), and Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Cleanser are all good choices. If these are too drying for your face, however, just use regular soap; don’t be afraid to moisturize your face even though you have acne. A face that has acne still needs to be cleansed and moisturized. If your hair is fine or dry, like mine, wash it every other day, for the same reason—it will get parched otherwise.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Skin Cleansing

Can I over-wash my face?
Cybele Fishman, MDCybele Fishman, MD
Many people think that the more they wash their face, the better; but over-washing can disrupt the b...
What is the goal of a cleanser?
The goal of a cleanser is to promote the easy removal of accumulated debris on the surface of the sk...
How does body wash remove dirt from my skin?
Body washes contain liquid surfactant ingredients that enable water to wash away the oil and dir...
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?
What Are the Health Benefits of Baths?